Thursday, April 30, 2015

SCHEIN

HANS WURST IN THE FOREST



Funny how similar to Braid the main character in Schein resembles a loser. Sorry his name must have escaped me, but let's call him "Hans Wurst" - being a German/Austrian synonym for a weak, kind of nerdy guy without muscles and usually a haircut from the 90s. I don't know, is there a "Johnny Sausage" in the English language? I guess you can imagine what my thoughts centered around when I started the game and seriously,... I couldn't hold back when he told that he was searching for his son! - What? This guy... a son?


Ok, jokes aside, I guess this guy is intentionally portrait as one of the classic, weak anti-hero types on a journey to grow beyond his imagination and to become the real hero in the end... it's either that or he's already dead. Unfortunately I won't see his character develop and get to the end of the game because after about one and a half hour of playing I can't anymore... this game is just not for me. Naturally that doesn't make it a bad game. Actually I think this game is quite well-suited amongst the more famous kind of puzzle platformer games like the already mentioned Braid & Co. However Schein doesn't rely on - the already way too often cloned - time manipulation mechanics but instead focuses on light sources that hide or unhide various platforms, obstacles and probably even enemies at a later point. That is very refreshing and funny to play... at least for the people who are into puzzle-platforming. Honestly, I didn't like Braid that much either. You know, I think my problem with all these type of games is that at some point the puzzles just become too obstructive and overambitious. At least that was not the case in Schein (well, as far as I've played that is) but for me another problem that is also usually shared between these kind of games persisted: Everything is so damn slow. I guess it comes with the genre and the constant "think before you jump" paradigm but eventually all those games always seem to me like a Super Mario on valium. - Ah, there we go: "Prince Valium" that might also be a good approximation for a translation of "Hans Wurst"...




Where was I? Yes, although slow, turning light sources on and off while jumping to land safely and/or to pass through objects gives the game a really unique feeling. With the exception of the main character I very much like the visuals of the game. They are simply, yet composed very well and give a great sense of atmosphere (surely) throughout the game. It is worth mentioning that the light sources also change the optics of the level within their radius. Watch closely: Even the pause menu changes depending on the light! - That for example is a small detail that made me very happy.

The sound work of the game is pretty impressive as well and adds even more to the partially spooky environment you traverse through. Judging from what I have played and the map I've uncovered so far, I would guess you can easily get 4+ hours of gametime out of it. - For an indie title that alone is rather impressive but given that it doesn't look like too many areas are recycled and you actually move through new levels all the time... I sincerely have to draw my hat. Well done!

So, to wrap it up: You like atmospheric but slow-pace puzzle platformers that make you think instead of trying to outrun the laws of in-game gravity? - Schein is a must for you! And I think you are even in for a treat because this game doesn't cost the world anymore on Steam. Show a bit support to some indies that made a lot right with this game and hopefully manage to get out their next IP soon!

Play more! Think more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment